Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tamparuli in flames then to ashes...


This was among the first shots I was able to take
at about 6 a.m. . .
. . .at 8.30 a.m. . .

. . .and at 3 p.m.

"I would die for you, lay down my life for you...", sheezzz....the vibration and the ring tone from my handphone within reach woke me up. Checked the time 5.45 a.m., checked the caller - my aunt....hesitantly I answered.

"Hmm...?"
"Tamparuli on fire! Ru Lim's block!"
"Wheennn..?"
"Now lah...still burning oh...we're going there already."

The line went dead. I rushed out of the room and found two inhabitants of my parents home watching football...well, probably that since they mentioned it previously.

"Shops on fire. Come!"

Wait...I had to retrace my steps back to the room...realized that I only had a big, flimsy t-shirt on *giggles*. Slipped into what I really needed, grabbed my camera bag, threw my car keys to Andy and off we went to witness the flames devouring every bit of the old wooden block of shops. Well, down it went and so were the speculation of many who were there. A lil' bit of excitement today....that and bringing the kids like almost every hour there to satisfy their every excuse to see the fire-engines, firemen/policemen at work, what remains of the burnt block and of course their search of keropok and ice-cream.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh no laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! i'm so sad :( that's one of those older wooden blocks still standing kan? :(

Unknown said...

you mention the fire started from the
bookstore, i thought the jawa shop is to blame

Lola said...

'ta yes one of those older wooden blocks...we still have 4 more lah...

dyral: dunno if i mentioned it started from the bookstore...i seem to remember saying its the ru lim (bookstore) block only. hehehe, anyway, i heard a few versions - from the jawa shop lah, from the goldsmith shop lah, because of tikus lah (hehehe)....

Donna said...

the news about Tamparuli's fire is on the front page of Daily Express today...kasi famous juga lah nama Tamparuli ni kan..but kesian. Anyway, I hairan lah last sunday i bought a double sided tape at Ru Lim after so many, many years i never shop at Ru Lim...it's like a sign...going there for the last time.

Unknown said...

i dunno about this but they said it was staged bcoz the lease is about to
expired. what say you?

Lola said...

dyral: so said some. . .just coz the owner did some under table thingy to get it extended...but other party (ies) not satisfied and so....but on a positive note, hopefully a new concrete building will come up lah...ada lah kemajuan sikit...

Unknown said...

blessing in disguise lah tu kan